Blog Action Day & 5-Hour Energy
5-Hour Energy is proud to be participating in this year's Blog Action Day. The focus of the 2009 blogging event is Climate Change. Here at 5-Hour Energy, we all understand the need to sustain and improve the environment for future generations. We've put together a list of great ways you can make this world a better place too. So what are you waiting for? Grab some friends, and get working!
- Recycle your 5-Hour Energy bottles, you did know they were recyclable, didn't you?
- Look into the energy efficient settings on your home appliances. Wash your clothes in cool water. Keep the heated dry function turned off on your dishwasher. Need new appliances? Look into the most energy efficient products out there.
- Switch to tap water. Invest in a reusable bottle and never pay for water again! Worried about the water quality? Check out a filtration system to purify the water and keep your new water bottle full!
- Get a reusable shopping bag. Paper or Plastic? How about neither! Invest in a reusable shopping bag, and you'll cut back on a ton of waste every year!
- Install Energy Efficient windows and doors in your home. You will cut your energy costs, and you may be eligible for a nice tax credit too!
- Check your thermostat. Keeping your space cooler in the winter and warmer in the summer by just a few degrees will help your energy bills and the environment.
- Skip the gym, and get outside! Treadmills, elliptical and other gym equipment uses electricity, take a day to play instead, go for a run outside, organize a game of basketball, or just take a hike and explore your area!
- Replace your next burnt out light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb.
- Unplug appliances when you're not using them. Vampires may be hot right now, but wasting vampire energy is not.
- Install a showerhead that puts out a lower flow of water. It's a cheap fix that will save you money in the long run on your water and power bills.
- Turn off your computers at night. You're not using it, why waste the energy?
- Go through your closet. Find clothes you just don't wear anymore? Donate them! You'll be giving to someone in need, and cutting down on waste.
- Walk or bike to work, it'll be good for your body, and help cut down on Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
- Buy your food as locally as possible, you'll be supporting your friends and neighbors, getting the freshest food possible, and you'll be cutting down on the needless waste produced by shipping foods all over.
- Harvest that water! Look into rainwater harvesting. Catch water next time it rains so you can use it to water your plants, lawn or garden!
- Go to the library. Check out a book you've been thinking of buying, you'll be saving money and trees!
- Make your own cleaning supplies. Your home and the earth will thank you for not using the toxic chemicals some store bought products contain.
- Plant a garden. You can do it in your own kitchen! Plant some spices and herbs, even some fruits and vegetables, you'll have the freshest ingredients and you'll be able to feel good about where they came from.
- Turn off the lights. Do you really need the lights on all the time? Cutting back on your light use is really a bright idea.
- Do the dishes. Quit using paper plates or plastic silverware to avoid doing the dishes all the time. All that paper waste isn't good for the environment.
- Find your community's recycling centers, and go there often! Recycling is a basic step in fighting our carbon footprint.
Some of the ideas listed above were inspired by the following resources. These Web sites offer even more ways to go green.
You don’t have to drastically change your life to live a little greener. Adopting one or two green habits into your daily routine each month will have a positive impact on the environment. It's up to us to do the right thing, so what are you going to do about it?