20 Ways to Stay Awake
There are plenty of ways to stay awake without loading up on sugar or guzzling 5 pots of coffee. Here are some alternative ways to stay awake and make it through your long days!
- Start every day with a healthy breakfast
- Studies have shown that eating breakfast improves alertness and concentration and helps you stay awake and feel better, both mentally and physically. Try to eat a combination of carbohydrates for energy and protein for endurance.
- Crank Up the AC
- Warmth and comfort will make you fall asleep, stay cold if you can!
- Go Take a Hike!
- Even the slightest movement increases blood flow, improves circulation, and sends oxygen and vital nutrients to the body and mind keeping you wide awake.
- Chew Gum
- Have you ever fallen asleep with gum in your mouth? Not fun. Between the actual actions involved in chewing, the tasty flavor, and the thought of picking gum out of your hair or keyboard, chewing gum should keep you awake for awhile!
- Cold Water
- On your face
- On the pulse area of your wrists
- Drink a big glass of cold water
- Let Something (or Someone!) Tickle Your Funny Bone!
- Watch your favorite funny video clip online
- Read your favorite comic strip, or look up jokes
- Have a quick chat with your funniest co-worker
- Crank up the Tunes!
- Listen to energizing music
- Turn On Any Light You Can!
- You fall asleep in the dark; don't let your mind think its nap time when it isn't.
- Play a Quick Game
- The mental stimulation and little break in the action will get your juices going!
- Get some fresh air!
- Go outdoors.
- Open a window.
- Take a drive.
- Healthy Snacks Are Great Energy Fuel
- Keep your sleepy body fueled by eating small, frequent meals about every three to four hours. Avoid a food coma by sticking to small portions of healthy food!
- Get Enough Sleep When You Can
- Everyone is different when it comes to required hours of sleep, but getting your magic number is important! Catch your Z's when you can, and cut back on the sleep deprived days that make you miserable!
- Move as much as possible!
- Get that blood flowing! Tap your foot, stretch, move your head, tap your fingers, etc..
- Try to do more than one thing at a time, focusing on work keeps your mind off of being tired. Doing one thing for a long period of time will make you zone out and fall asleep easier.
- When possible, give in, take a 20 minute nap and rejuvenate your body!
- Breathing Exercises
- Mindful breathing can be either relaxing or energizing, depending on the technique.
- In acupressure physical pressure is applied to acupuncture points by the hand, elbow, or with various devices. Energizing points include the top of your head, top of the back of the neck, between the thumb and forefinger on the back of the hands as well as the bottom of the feet, in the center below the balls.
- It has been thought that some aromas can have an effect on one's mind and body. Scents such as Basil, Grapefruit, Lemon, Orange, Mandarin and Rosemary are said to have energy giving and exhaustion fighting properties.
- Take your vitamins.
- Your parents were right, vitamins are a good choice. Keeping your immune system healthy and your body's requirements met are a good way to stay healthy and alert. You should always consult your doctor before beginning any vitamin regiments.
- Drink 5-Hour Energy Shots!
- Tired is in your head. Wake up your brain and your body will follow. Drink a 5-Hour Energy Shot, and you can feel awake, alert and productive for hours.